After 5 years of beekeeping and countless stings I very suddenly became severely allergic to my sweet honey bees 🐝😥. It was a very scary near death experience that if not for my fast acting, level headed sons I believe I would not be alive today. If you’re interested in reading about the fatal beekeeping mistakes I made that contributed to the terrifying experience I will post it here soon.
That’s me, the fearless beekeeper on the ground surrounded by my very worried family and paramedics.
A few days after the experience I visited my family Dr., she gave a prescription for an Epi-Pen and made me promise her that I wouldn’t visit my hives alone or without the Epi-Pen until I recieved allergy testing.
But in the height of the season the work must carry on! My husband Andrew along with my oldest son Myles both suited up to get busy in the hives, one week after my allergic reaction. My third son Julius, peeking out from behind, drove the tractor and was prepared to chauffeur me back to the house should anything go awry! That day was uneventful, no one was stung, we hauled in loads of delicious ripe honey!
We finished the season together, several weeks later, each time my anxiety was lessneed. I did get stung once on the finger and had no reaction, I had a sense that I wasn’t truly allergic to my bees and that experience in August was a one off. Allergy testing for Honey bees had been scheduled for January 2018.